7.08.2017

modular synths and Learning Modular


If you've been following this blog for a while, you may be wondering "what's with all the guitars and where did the modular synthesizers go?"

(or maybe not - but I needed a line to start this post)

short answer: "you've caught me in a transitional period"

I've recently moved to a new town and one of my long range objectives is to start playing music live again. Regardless of past performances (live soundtracks for silent movies in Pittsburgh) and what I do to pay the bills (building modular synthesizers), my core competency is the wire and wood.

Most of the live work I'm gonna get around here will tap on my guitar work.

You'll notice that my modular synth rig is in the background of all the videos. I've had it up and running since the day after I got the recording rig set up (even before I got my guitars dialed in).

The real reason for this post was to find an excuse to pitch a resource that I've been tracking for a while: Learning Modular's Website



learning modular


Chris Meyer's resume includes: designing gear for Sequential, Digidesign, Marion Systems (Tom Oberheim), and Roland, writing for for Keyboard and Music Technology magazines, and teaching synthesis at UCLA.

He's also got 20 + years of media (film and video including courses on graphics and editing software)

On a related note, Chris is also among the ranks of people marketing their talent on Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/LearningModular

In exchange for $5 a month, you'll get access to selected video content.

Patreon is one of those "business model things" I'm interested in because a large share of the revenue goes directly to the producer. As "the future of work" evolves, I will always try to at least evangelize things that I think will replace the time a person "has to spend to maintain a lifestyle" with "a lifestyle that will provide" what a person needs.

No comments: